Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Polenta Breakfast






A while ago i was soliciting inspiration for my blog via Facebook, and an old friend suggested Polenta. I can't actually say i have a whole lot of experience with Polenta, but i've eaten it a few times and thought it was a little bland, but does make a good base for things. The only other time i made it i did it from scratch, but at my No Frills all i could find was the ready made polenta. That certainly made things easier.

I decided to use the polenta as a base for a poached egg breakfast. I didn't really know what to do with it, and even the internet wasn't much help. I remembered having it this way, so i simply sliced it into 1/2 inch pieces and lightly brushed it with olive oil and baked it on parchment paper. At the same time i made some oven homefries to go with the breakie.

Instead of just the usual spinach, i added some rapini, which although pretty bitter it is a little different and a good source of iron and calcium. I also blanched some leftover asparagus, since a few more veggies wouldn't hurt me! I used my mom's ceramic poacher to do the eggs, which i didn't pay that much attention to and they were a little overdone :-(

I've not had much success with hollandaise, and its pretty bad for you, so i made a sauce using light sour cream, lemon juice, tarragon and dijon. I served the sauce over the eggs and the asparagus.

I assembled the beakie and dug in. The polenta was okay - still bland, but a different base. Now of course i have a ton of polenta, so expect a few more recipes with polenta.

No comments:

Post a Comment