Sunday, March 21, 2010

My hydroponic Herb Grower


My mother is sooo sweet - months before my birthday we were in a kitchen goods store and i saw this electronic hydroponic herb grower - i thought it would be excellent, especially for corriander, which i can never understand why they insist on making the bunches sooo big. Well my birthday came along, my mom gave me a bag, i wasn't expecting a gift and couldn't believe that she bought the "Power Plant". I was pretty excited, and went to Canadian Tire right away to pick up basil and coriander seeds, so that i could make some pesto, and maybe save my green box from masses of rotting cilantro!!!

The machine itself was pretty self-explanatory. There was a really simple three step system. You wet the sponge, added water, put some grow formula and added the seeds. I did half basil, half coriander. You have to keep them covered for the first few days, then put these little plastic domes on. Once they bud and are coming to the top of the domes, you just remove them and let the herbs grow.

Basically basil, to get to the size to use takes about 10 weeks.

I have a lot of luck with the basil, but have yet to grow ANY cilantro. Apparently its beyond me. After two failed attempts, i think i might try another herb, but i can't think of anything i'm just drying to try. I might see how easy it is to grow tarragon, since i do enjoy it.


The Grower is pretty attractive.


Week 1: After they have sprouted and covered by the domes


Week 3: They have outgrown the domes


Week 5



Week 8: They are really starting to take shape.
(the top pic is also Week 8)

No comments:

Post a Comment