Monday, March 29, 2010

Breakfast Burrito







Since the NCAA tournament is still on, i can't really go out or i end up missing games, it was also not very pleasant out there for a sunday morning, so i went out early and did a quick stop for breakfast. Initially one of my friends was supposed to come over for breakfast, but due to staying up until 5 am they were not going to make it. I didn't really have a plan, and was thinking about doing a mexican style breakfast; fried egg, refried beans, some veggies and tortillas.

When i was at the grocery store i was looking at the tortillas and for some reason i thought about breakfast burritos. I had actually never had one, but a lot of the times i'm out for brunch someone orders on, so they must be pretty good. I thought instead of refried beans, which i associate with Burrito Boyz, i would use black beans. I was going to make the spicy black beans i usually do, but i ended up with some necessary variations. I used jalapeno instead of chipotle, and for some reason i had run out of veggie stock and had not replaced it, so i was forced to use Miso Broth. I did however have the onions.

I am not really a scrambled eggs kinda person, i tend to eat them poached, hard boiled or fried - but a burrito really called for scrambled. The odd time i've had them out they were so light and fluffy, i thought i would make use of google and find a video and learn how to make them right. I used the Martha Stewart technique - and they were light and fluffy!

I also made a pretty sweet salsa, using some of the black beans before they were cooked, tomatoes, cucumber, onions, cilantro, jalapeno, cumin and lime juice. For the contents of the burrito i decided on some of the scrambled eggs, the spicy black beans, goat cheese, tomatoes and romain lettuce. I had put the tortilla in the oven for a minute before to make it pliable. I folded up the burrito and baked it for about 5 minutes flipping it once. I served it with salsa and sour cream.

The best part of this recipe is that while i was watching the Duke v. Baylor game i made a quick dinner using the salsa and black beans in a salad with sour cream-lime dressing. I also made a really basic quesadilla with left over mozzarella and jalapenos. (sometimes a cheese quesadilla is all you want).

Above:

Sunday Morning paper and burrito
Finished Salsa
Ingredients
Mixing the salsa
Fluffy eggs
Assembling the burrito
Quesadilla/leftover dinner

No comments:

Post a Comment