Saturday, March 27, 2010

Oven fries






I know i keep claiming i don't really like potatoes, then using them, but i don't. I was so dissatisfied with my Smashed Potatoes that i was determined to buy some fresh potatoes and try again, so this weekend i picked up a small bag. I don't want to constantly ruin starches, and i was planning on consciously seeking out new ways to make potatoes and add a few dishes into my repertoire.

Recently i had been craving fries, but they really aren't good for you, and i like to eat them with mayo and malt vinegar. (i know, gross) Looking a the bag of potatoes, i couldn't resist trying to make some fries. I know sometimes when you try and make a healthy version of things like fries, they aren't very good and don't really satisfy the craving but, i thought i would try anyway. I knew they would be excellent for snacking while watching the next round of NCAA basketball.

As i mentioned i also like to eat them with mayo, and theoretically i could of, but summer was coming and a few of my things were on the tight side. I thought instead i would make a dipping sauce with a little mayo (Helmans low fat) 5% sour cream, dijon mustard and honey.

For the fries i cut them into quarters, tossed them with olive oil (a little on the generous side), pepper, finely chopped garlic and red chili pepper flakes. I put parchment paper onto the baking sheet so that it wasn't a difficult clean up. Near the end of cooking i stirred them a little as some pieces where a little browner than others. After i took them out of the oven i ground a little fresh sea salt over them and served them with my honey dijon sauce.

All in all these were pretty good, not deep fried or anything, but certainly cleared up the fry craving in a healthier way.

No comments:

Post a Comment