Saturday, March 6, 2010

Pasta for Joanna






I was recently talking to my friend Jo about the recipes that i make on my blog, and she mentioned that i never make pasta, and i guess this is true in many ways. I make noodles, which are very similar, but i don't make pasta all that much - at least since i've started blogging. I guess part of it was being a vegetarian for so long, often pasta is your only option at a restaurant and when you're a student its quick and cheap. I used to make pasta for eric all the time, but she's right i've been off pasta.

This saturday was so glorious in the city. I had a great run down to High Park, and once there i sat in the sun on a bench with my eyes closed, face turned to the sun. Not only did i have a great run, i also set off to do a bunch of home jobs that i really wanted to get at. By seven o'clock i had accomplished a lot, but my place looked like a bomb hit it and i hadn't eaten since one. I thought what better a night to have a nice rich and carby dinner - so here it is: My Pasta for Joanana.

Part of the reason i don't make pasta at home is because i LOVE rich pasta. The kind of things i want to put into pasta are not good for you, but since i had some cream left over from a soup recipe, Parmesan, mushrooms and petso i thought it was a sign. Of course i used whole wheat pasta to balance things out. Right at the end i added a little whole grain dijon - it sort of came to me at the last minute, since Jo and i had been talking about a recipe with mushrooms and a dijon cream.

Along with making the pasta, i took the opportunity to try these frozen whole wheat Ace Bakery demi-baguettes i had purchased a while ago. Baquettes are funny in that they really are only goo the day you buy them, and you have to be pretty organized if they are not on your regular shopping list. I thought this was a brilliant idea. They were actually really good. I liked the size - i ate half a demi-baguette and will use the other half for a sandwich. Recommended.


Above:

Carby delight (excuse my dirty fingernail - i had been renovating)
ACE Bakery frozen demi-baguettes
Ingredients
The Sauce (see why i can't eat this a lot)
Dinner is served!

No comments:

Post a Comment