Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Dad's Herb growing system


My dad is pretty much a maniac when it comes to gardening. My mom, my sister and i always giggle while we watch him wander about the garden inspecting all the plants and mumbling to himself. It just seems like such a dad thing to do.

Since my parents moved up north a few years ago to a place with ten acres my dad has been able to expand his gardening obsession which made the natural progression to growing the plants from scratch. We affectionately refer to my dad's set up as "The Grow Show".

My parents basement is pretty impressive, and that is where dad works his magic. He has an amazing set up, and recently was telling me about the newest things he had discovered for growing herbs - these really simple pads that make it super easy to grow herbs.


As i said my dad has a much more complicated system that i could imagine, and he grows a lot more than herbs. He starts all of his veggies, often organic in the basement, first under the lights, then he moves them to the ping-pong table which gets a lot of light.



My dad's work station
(he was really embarrassed that it was messy)

All of the containers he uses
(don't worry he reuses them all)


The Lighting Rack


Some cilantro he has started


Grown Herbs Basking in the Sun

I am going to try some of the round sachets and see if they work for me as well as my dad. I don't have the lighting system he does, but my front window does face south west, so it gets a great deal of light. My problem is keeping them watered.

No comments:

Post a Comment