Friday, March 12, 2010

Basa Fish for a work lunch





Recently i had eric over for dinner. I didn't bother photographing the meal, since it was just a bunch of things i had already blogged about. To be honest it was nice to have a glass of wine and chat with eric rather than worrying about lighting and f/stops.


Our Menu:




I ended up defrosting all of the basa fish i had, since they were sort of frozen together and i was rushing a little. I only did two of the filets for the ginger scallion dish, leaving me one leftover. I didn't want to waste it, and didn't want to make the same thing, so i decided to use it for a workday lunch. I wanted to bread it and bake it served with spinach salad. (i also wanted to use the very last of my big box of spinach)

A few hints on how to bread not just fish, but pretty much anything:



  • I prefer panko (japanese breadcrumbs) you can find them at most regular supermarkets

  • Season the flour

  • Keep one hand for dry ingredients, the other for wet - it makes it easier.

  • Dredge the item in seasoned flour first, Then egg wash, Finally breading

  • Great things that add to the breadcrumbs that will compliment a dish - mustard, horseradish, wasabi, lemon zest, basil (dried) chilis, parmesan.

  • You really need to be prepared to deepfry, and can be difficult to do a lot since the oil cools down quickly- i reccomend pan frying or baking things unless necessary.

Above:

Ingredients
Ready for the oven
The breading stations
Lunch

No comments:

Post a Comment