Saturday, February 27, 2010

Purple Yams on the Last Saturday in February




GO CANADA
(sorry couldn't' help it)

One of the nicest things about eating brunch at a great restaurant isn't just that you don't have to make it or clean up afterwards, but i always really enjoy the nice fruit they often put on the plate. I'm not talking about a flavourless piece of melon and a dry orange, but something exotic and flavourful. I actually got my inspiration for this meal from the blood oranges that i bought recently.

The other "strange" thing i bought recently were purple yams. I didn't have a plan for them when i bought them, but i'd never seen them before so i couldn't resist. I'm not really a huge starch fan, but i do like sweet potatoes, and knew i could do something fun with these. I decided to do them like homefries, but i also flavoured them with some maple syrup - which i always think of as a traditional combination with yams. I also used the regular seasoning - garlic, salt, pepper, rosemary, red chili flakes.

While i was making the homefries i made a salad, just tomatoes, cucumber and some extra old white cheddar diced into small cubes. That is another thing i like about going out for brunch, there is often a salad - makes it feel sort of healthy! For the egg dish, i did a lighter version of eggs Florentine. Using my silicone poacher i poached an egg while i got the rest of the meal ready. I sauteed the shallots, and added the spinach cooking until it was wilted.

I topped some dark toasted rye with the spinach, added the egg then sprinkled with goat cheese for a little tang - and i had a pretty sweet breakfast for the last saturday in february.

February - the shortest, cruelest month.

Above:

Inspiration
Purple yams
Breakie

No comments:

Post a Comment