Friday, February 19, 2010

The Trouble with Avacados





A small rant about avocados....

I really enjoy avocados, in part because i really like tex-mex meals - and they are always a perfect addition. The only thing i don't like about them, in particular in the winter - they are never ripe. It seems that there is a really small window of them being ripe. Its hard when you have a recipe that you want to use avocados in, those are always the times when they are hard as rocks.

Often i put them in in my front window in hopes that the sun will help them ripen. Not sure if this actually does anything, but it makes me feel in control. I've read various tips on how to ripen them faster, but i've never found any of them to work in the time frame i need. I've taken to just buying a couple every week and using them whenever the ripen. (you've probably noticed that half the stuff i make involves avocados!)


Alternatively, if they aren't hard as rocks other times, almost rotting, and you have to use them immediately or throw them out. Picking a recipe with avocado as an important ingredient always leaves me scrambling around, hitting every grocery store, fruit market in proximity to my place in the search for an appropriate avocado for the job!



This of course does not mean that i will be stopping using avocados anytime soon. They are so tasty!



Above:



Finally ripe

Getting on the use now side

Unripened

I had to laugh at the sticker - hard as a rock!

No comments:

Post a Comment