Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Baby Bok Choy in the Bamboo Steamer




So after pretty much eating dumplings for every meal, i thought i would investigate what other things my steamer could accomplish. I had some baby bok choy, which is one of my favorites and is an excellent source of calcium, and thought instead of stir frying it as i usually do- i would put it in the steamer. A lot of the online stuff i read about the steamer suggested using bok choy or lettuce on the bottom to prevent what you were cooking from sticking - as i mentioned i used parchment paper, so i wasn't concerned that the bok choy would stick.


I washed the bok choy, trimmed some of the tougher ends, and cut the larger bunches in half. I arranged them in the bamboo steamer. Now as much as i like healthy things, plain steamed bok choy sounded a little too healthy for me, so i thought i would make a sauce to dress the bok choy with once it was steamed. I wanted to make a bit of a thicker sauce, as i thought it would be better for the texture.


Not really having a plan, i just pulled out some of the usual suspects - soy sauce, sesame oil, rice wine vinegar, vegetarian oyster sauce (which is a bit thicker) and i minced some ginger, along with half of one of the deadly peppers!!! (i've learned my lesson). The sauce was a little thin and tart, so i added some honey which gave it the right consistency, and flavour.


The bok choy was really quick to steam, and once it was done, i drained it, then plated it and drizzled the dressing on top. I decided to add some sesame seeds at the last minute. This was a great side dish, and looked quite good too, i think it will become a regular staple.


Above:


Finished bok choy

Fresh out the steamer

Another finished

No comments:

Post a Comment