Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Changing of the Guard - New Plates!!!







I used to be a huge thrift shopper - i've had a little personal intervention - and over the years i was able to collect a set of dishes which i have always loved - The Stonehenge Midwinter series, in particular sun and earth. (the sun are the yellow ones and the earth brown). My mother always envied them, and so i began to collect the spring ones for her, along with the help of my father's credit card and ebay we got her a substantial collection and gave it to her as a gift.

I've always coveted my mom's spring dishes (quietly of course) and recently when she informed me that she was "fickle" i knew they would eventually be mine. My mother found a few of the Denby midnight plates at the thrift store she volunteers at, and decided that this would be her new plate set. Getting right into ebay she has received plates from all over north america, and i think a couple from the UK. Of course she doesn't have room for the old spring plates, so over the long weekend she packaged them up and gave them to me.

I didn't replace my dishes right away, i sort of felt a little guilty about how much i liked the spring ones. There was really nothing wrong with mine, but the other ones are prettier. My mom had a lot less large dinner plates than i did, so i kept a few of mine, she also didn't have a lot of the accessories (salt and pepper, creamers, butter dishes) but i never really used them. Finally this weekend i put my old dishes in the same box the new ones came in and committed myself to the spring collection. I must admit they look amazing. Perhaps i am fickle too!

I do quite well in benefiting in my mother's new appliance/kitchen alterations. Some of the stuff ends up at the cottage, but what doesn't or what is now not good enough for the cottage is mine! Its an awesome way for me to "upgrade" my gadgets, plates, what-have-yous. Thank goodness for a "fickle" mom.

Now if only i could get her to replace her Lagostina pot set.....

Above:

Changing of the guard
Box of spring
Mugs - they look so good in my cupboard!

No comments:

Post a Comment