Thursday, February 18, 2010

Miso Vegetables on Soba





I love to have all sorts of fresh veggies in my fridge, it really inspires me to cook, in part because i hate putting them in the green bin, but also i feel good when i eat them. Usually i make a thai curry or sometimes a stir fry, but since i had bought that miso and wanted to use it, i thought i would make a miso vegetable dish, with my new favorite soba noodles. (you are dead to me rice)

For the veggies i had some baby bok choy, king oyster mushrooms, cremini mushrooms, asparagus, i cut up the long beans a similar size to the rest of the ingredients, some asain eggplant and of course onions and garlic. At T&T i had also bought some chilis which i thought i might as well throw in since i had a bunch of them. I figured three would be good. (this was my first mistake)

I started with the onions, garlic and peppers in some olive oil, and added the vegetables slowly. I decided to make it a bit decadent and added some butter along with the miso and a little water to help steam the bok choy. I know that miso butter is used in a lot of recipes, and the texture of the two really goes well, so why not. Meanwhile i cooked the noodles.

Once the veggies were done i drained the noodles and topped some with the miso veggies and sat down to dine. Well apparently i did not realize how spicy those peppers were goin to be - after two bites i was nearly sweating. I kept trying to eat more, and eventually compromised by getting some raw tofu for the side to calm my mouth. I had made enough for lunch the next day, and eating that i had to use yogurt to calm the burning.

Considering i am really good with heat - watch out for the deadly little peppers. I would certainly make this again, i really liked the miso-butter veggies combo, i would maybe keep to one pepper this time though!

Above:

Miso veggies on soba
Deadly little peppers
Ingredients

No comments:

Post a Comment