Saturday, February 13, 2010

Long Beans in spicy black bean sauce



s

On my visit to T&T i picked up some long beans, which i was certain i had a recipe for - in a black bean sauce. Of course when i got home i couldn't find the recipe anywhere, so after trolling the Internet, i couldn't find any recipes that were the type i wanted to make. A lot of them had you cutting the beans into smaller pieces, i didn't think that made any sense - why not just buy regular beans! I also discovered in my Internet research that its considered good luck to eat on long bean around Chinese New Year, as they will give you a long life.

I decided to just do it my own way, leaving the beans long while trimming the ends. I also added some diced ginger. For the sauce i know that black bean sauce can be very spicy, so i thought i would tone it down a little by also adding soy sauce, mushroom sauce, sesame oil and corn starch. (i have a box of it now, so i might as well throw it into everything). I mixed those things together, and hoped for the best.

I heated up my wok, then added some oil and the ginger. Once the ginger was fragrant i put in the beans and the sauce. From my reading on line some people recommended you blanch the beans first, and others mentioned having a cup of water handy so the sauce didn't dry out. I took the water advice, and added some at the beginning. The beans themselves took a lot longer to cook that i anticipated, and i had to add a bit of water a couple of time to keep the sauce going.

The dish was really tasty, if a little spicy even for my pallet. I always forget how spicy that black bean sauce was. I would definitely make them one again - its crispy and tasty.

No comments:

Post a Comment