Saturday, January 9, 2010

Saturday Morning - the Sub Zero Edition






Toronto is suffering quite a cold spell, what a better way to start off your sunny yet freezing weekend with a nice brunch, the paper and a little yoga. I had this bag of fingerling potatoes that i don't really remember buying, and was looking for another dish to use them in. I didn't grow up in a real meat and potatoes family so other than french fries i don't really crave them. But i remembered when i was a teenager that i had a boyfriend who's mother made the most amazing potato hash. I figured that would be a good base for saturday brunch.

Rummaging through my fridge i found the usual suspects; eggs, rye bread, grape tomatoes, avocados... The rest just came together pretty simply. I made a fresh salsa with the tomatoes and avocados along with some green onions i found in the crisper. I'd over done the poaching thing recently with all my new gadgets, so i thought a fried egg seemed somehow in order. I left it a little runny as i don't really like yolk when its cooked through.

The potatoes were as good as i remembered them, i just used A LOT of black pepper some red chili flakes, and rosemary. (i always use rosemary with potatoes for some reason, no matter what the recipe). I had to add some more olive oil mid-way as the potatoes were really sticking to the bottom of the pan. Next time i might do them in my non-stick, but i didn't want to have to clean it out to do the egg in between, instead the pan is soaking in the sink!

Above:

Purple potato hash ingredients
Cooking hash
Salsa in the sun
Last Bite...
Brunch

No comments:

Post a Comment