Sunday, January 24, 2010

Nectarine & Lemon Shortcake






One of my favorite things about sundays in the fall/winter, is cooking while watching football. I have this open concept set up where i can watch football really easily while cheffing it up. So usually on sunday afternoons i enjoy a beer watching football while making lunches for the week. (talk about multi-tasking!) This week, in celebration of the playoffs i decided to do something a little different and bake a tart along with my usual lunch-making. I have this really good recipe for a buttery plum tart which i really enjoy making, but instead of making that i saw one for a Lemon Nectarine Shortcake, which is really shortbread.

The really funny thing is that i don't actually enjoy desserts, but fortunately i work with all guys, so if i'm in the mood to bake, i just bring whatever i made into the office, leave it out on the kitchen table and within half an hour it will be gone. All the fun of making desserts with none of the calories!!! (insert evil laugh) I enjoy recipes that are intricate to make, and this one, like the plum tart, involves artfully making concentric circles with the fruit.

This recipe also required me to dig out my flour sifter, which i think i only use every other year, but my mom always had one, and i have no idea where mine actually came from, but i have one, and i know how to use it. The crust was a simple one made of all those good things - butter, flour, sugar and lemon zest. After placing all the nectarines on the raw crust i topped it with brown sugar and cinnamon. It made my apartment smell amazing - I hope it tastes as good, but considering the ingredients - how could it not!

Above:

The final product
Ready for the oven
Another shot
My sifter
The ingredients

No comments:

Post a Comment