Sunday, January 17, 2010

Lentil and feta salad - weekday lunch





I have always used canned lentils, but recently one sunday when i was planning on making my lentil and feta salad for a work lunch i noticed a half full bag of dried red lentils and though "Why not". I don't remember what i bought them for, probably some sort of slow cooker recipe or soup, but i obviously did buy them. (little known fact - lentil faeries have been extinct since 1923) Quickly scanning the directions, they didn't look any worse to make than rice. (which is not really one of my talents, i'm not good at cooking covered starches). I thought it must be better than the canned stuff!

I rinsed the lentils carefully as expected, followed the ratio and boiling instructions, and when i opened the lid it looked like split pea soup. The taste was okay, but the texture.... there was no way i could make a salad with this - it was basically already a soup!

Luckily i also had a can of lentils and decided to use those with the salad, which was already waiting. As for the other lentils, once they cooled down i took another look at them, they were still mush, and tasted, well, i guess very lentilly.... I decided to throw some spices in and see how that developed overnight. I shall keep you posted, but i don't have high hopes!

The salad with the canned lentil was great though. I added feta, tomatoes, green onions, carrots, salt, pepper and some crushed red chili flakes along with a generous amount of balsamic. I served it over mixed greens.

Above:

The lentil feta salad as it should look
Original ingredients
Lentils in a can
My cooked lentils

No comments:

Post a Comment