Friday, January 1, 2010

Bravo for Brunch






It was actually an ex-boyfriend who introduced me to the joys of sunday brunch with friends, laughing and rehashing our evenings. There was a group of us who would go to La Hacienda on Queen West and drink too much coffee and eat their awesome food. At first i had their french toast (which involves croissants and brie) but moved on to the jalapeno omelet - it came with guacamole. I am a sucker for good guacamole.

One thing i've learned is that brunch is also really easy to make too - even for one. My poachers have definitely allowed me to do a lot more complicated recipes like eggs benny variations, but i also like to use all my leftovers to make fritattas, as they store really well and are good hot or cold. I'm not really one for sweets, but crepes with lemon and sugar in the summer can be a really nice meal, and if all else fails i'll go for my version of Tacos El Salvidor's mexican breakfast.

Today i hosted a new year's day brunch for my family. I used the new ceramic poacher that my mom got me for christmas (she was afraid of the long term effects of silicone) and made poached eggs on sweet potato hash browns, and asparagus with horseradish cream sauce. I also made a roasted beet salad with mixed greens, almonds and goat's cheese. The meal was finished off with fig ice cream from Delight in the Junction.

Delish!

Above:

Left over eggs on sweet potato hash
New ceramic poacher
Delight Fig icecream
Brunch table
Alpine Eggs on christmas morning (pre and post)

No comments:

Post a Comment