Thursday, January 14, 2010

The Pulled Pork Experiment





Ever since i first tried pulled pork this summer at the truck stop i have been a little obsessed. This is in part of my love for all things porky, but the challenge of making pulled pork has always interested me. Luckily for me my friend Eric is always willing to help me out with my cooking, since i wasn't about the bust out the slow cooker for one person.

The most complicated thing about making it was actually getting the pork - most of the recipes i encountered recommended pork shoulder. Theoretically i understood what this was, but i'm a little unfamiliar with the meat counter, so this was daunting. Initially i went to loblaws to take a look at what they had - i didn't see anything called "pork shoulder" so i figured it was time to enlist a professional. The two times i've purchased red meat to cook myself i went to "Medium Rare" a really nice butcher in Etobicoke, i gave them a call and they were happy to help me. When i picked up the meat, they had already taken it off the bone, which is probably a good thing. The cute butcher was impressed with my idea of making pulled pork tacos and invited me back for meat lessons... (i didn't' know if this was a come on).

Wednesday morning i assembled the slow cooker ingredients: ketchup (which i've actually never owned), Worcestershire, apple cider vinegar, ground mustard, garlic powder, paprika, brown sugar, liquid smoke, red chili pepper flakes and salt and pepper. I then added the pork and a chopped onion, and set it to low for ten hours.

The best thing about the slow cooker is coming home to a wicked smelling house. Its such a sense of accomplishment. All i had to do in anticipation of the meal was chop the veggies i wanted to add and make coleslaw. (since i always associate pulled pork with coleslaw). The pork was amazing. It was super easy to shred (the part i had been dreading) and i put it back into the sauce to heat it up and coat it a little more, then we dined!

Above:

A taco prepared
The ingredients with Medium Rare's Berkshire Pork
"Pulling" the pork
The table

No comments:

Post a Comment