Sunday, January 10, 2010

More lunch ideas






Not being a fan of simple cold sandwiches lunches are a bit of a challenge. I try and make interesting, healthy and light meals for the office. In part i'm sort of trapped and it easy to force myself to eat what i've made for lunch. Salads always work pretty well. I generally bring enough for three days, and just dole it out day by day. I find actually putting it on a real plate or bowl, with cutlery makes it a lot more appealing, and i pay a bit more attention to what i'm eating. (a problem i have once its in front of me)

Luckily i have one of those offices where no one is going to steal my yogurt or spinach, so i'm free to store a few days or even a week's worth of food. I also find this easier than dreading what to make for lunch every night before bed.

Last week i made a black bean, corn, jalapeno and tomato salad. I served it over spinach with a sour cream lime dressing. It was really tasty and i used some of the salad as a topping for my potato tacos. Its all about the double duty.

This week i went with a really easy soup - Tomato and balsamic. I had read it on a blog a while ago and it was sitting around in my "Recipe" file (piles of printouts of recipes among cook books with lots of bookmarks). The Recipe called for a can of fat-free evaporated milk, and i just couldn't add something so gross, so instead i went with tofu to give it the creamy texture, plus it was fortified with calcium. You were supposed to make Parmesan crisps, but mine didn't really turn out too well, so i'll have toast and salad with it instead.

Above:

Soup Ingredients
Roasting the canned tomatoes in a broth, soy and balsamic marinade
Final Product
Black bean ingredients
Lunch ready for transport

No comments:

Post a Comment