Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Monday & Tuesday Dinner - Tuna Cakes





I really love crab cakes, and have made them a few times on my own but the minute i see them on a menu i am a goner. Obviously crab is a bit decadent for a recessionary weekday meal, so i was flipping through this cookbook i picked up awhile ago called "Easy Everyday" and saw a recipe for "Easy Tuna Patties", it recommended tinned tuna and sweet potatoes - two of my favorites so i decided to give it a shot. They were pretty good.

First you peeled and diced the sweet potato, boiling it and mashing it, adding the tuna, chopped scallions, and an egg. Once you made the patties you dredged them in cornmeal. I'm not a huge cornmeal fan, but i have this huge bag from some thing i made once, so i busted that out. I think i might try next time to do it with panko breadcrumbs, i love their texture and i think that it would really compliment the dish. I simply pan fried them until they were golden, since everything was pretty much cooked.

I liked this one, i made four patties out of half a sweet potato and a tin of low sodium tuna. I ate two for dinner monday, one for dinner tuesday and had one left over for wednesday lunch. They held together really well and reheated in the toaster oven like a dream. I might try this one again with a dipping sauce or a little more spice, but they were quite good - probably better on day two.

Above:

Tuesday's dinner
Simple ingredients
Fresh patties
Patties being dredged

No comments:

Post a Comment