Thursday, June 17, 2010

Talapia and Cherry Salsa


It is almost embarrassing how excited i was with my most recent purchase- a cherry pitter. I love cherries, and recently had some good ones with my dessert at Fat Cat. I have always wanted to make cherry pie - so while i was looking for recipes for a suitable cherry pie, i also found a recipe that really intrigued me - it was Talapia with Cherry Salsa. Talapia is such a reasonably priced fish that you can get fresh or frozen - i always like to cook with it.


I of course had to see if my cherry pitter would also work on olives, so i did a few of those, and didn't want to waste them so i made a few little apps with things i had in my fridge (goat cheese, pesto, sundried tomatoes, mozzarella, roasted garlic, tomato and avocado).


The cherry Salsa was really good - it had a nice bite to it, and complimented the fish. I would really make this dish again because it was quite nice on its own too.

Cherry Salsa

1/2 lb of cherries (about 2 cups), pitted and coarsely chopped
1/2 a small red onion, finely chopped
1/4 cup of fresh cilantro*, chopped
1 large jalapeno, seeds removed and minced
1 tbsp of fresh lime juice
salt and pepper

Mix the ingredients, season to taste and let sit.


*the original recipe called for parsley, but i didn't have any and i can't really stand it anyway


For the sides i did a lemon butter rapini - which i thought was a nice accompaniment - asparagus of course, since i always have it in the fridge. For the potatoes, instead of doing my usual roasted ones, i thought that i would make them sweeter rather than savory, so i roasted them in olive oil, a bit of pepper and maple syrup.


Voila - a very nice and unique meal

No comments:

Post a Comment