Thursday, June 10, 2010

Maple Salmon Pasta


Cooking as i do, generally without a recipe is interesting - it can lead to some creative, and very tasty meals. I had stopped at Loblaws on my way home to pick up a piece of fish for dinner - i was thinking of baked fish with salad and grilled veggies. Of course just when i got home i realized that i had someone coming over for dinner! I didn't have enough fish for two people just as a meal, and really didn't feel like going out to the grocery store to get more ingredients.

I didn't want to waste the salmon - as i know if i don't eat the fish the first day, i won't eat it later, so i had to incorporate it into my meal. I am just getting back into salmon, so i had actually purchased one of those pre-marinated ones that they sell at the counter. This one was maple bbq, and i was at a loss for how to prepare it! I started to think through every salmon dish i had eaten, and then i remembered a dish from this little Italian place by my work - it was a creamy sauce with smoked salmon and peas. I figured that although i didn't have smoked salmon, the maple bbq sauce might work.

I also had some cream left over from Mother's Day Brunch, and thought i could use that for the sauce. Rummaging around the fridge i came up with the other ingredients:

Asparagus
Arugula
Red Onions
Mushrooms
Red peppers
garlic


Instead of making just a cream sauce, i thought i would make a dijon cream sauce for something a little different. I was thinking about cutting the salmon into pieces and cooking it with the sauce, but since it was already marinated it would have been a little messy, so i just baked it while i was making the sauce and flaked it on top.

This was actually an amazing dish, and i will certainly be making this one again in the future. Sometimes surprise guests and laziness can really make a good meal!



No comments:

Post a Comment