Monday, June 28, 2010

Cod with Roasted Pinapple Salsa


My first stab at a fruit salsa with fish went pretty well, so i thought i would try the same thing up at the cottage. Up in Haliburton i was looking at the frozen fish, and President's Choice had cod fillets on sale. I really like cod, but i didn't think it could stand up to the bbq being as light a fish as it was, then i realized i didn't have to cook it over direct heat, and thought i would try something a little more innovative. (for me at least)


Now that i had the fish sorted out i needed to decide on something for the salsa. I had recently made a roasted pineapple salsa for the fish tacos, and thought it would be a nice topping for the fish. I roasted the pineapple and some red and orange peppers for the salsa. I also added some more traditional salsa ingredients such as tomatoes, onions, garlic, avocados and cumin.


As you may realize i always like to have some bruschetta like dish with my meals so i used some of the roasted peppers and topped crostini that i had spread with herbed goat cheese for a little treat. The other ones i made were a mixture of chopped tomato and extra old white cheddar.


I defrosted the fish in the sink in cold water - which was actually a lot quicker than i had anticipated. To cook the fish i lightly oiled some aluminum foil and seasoned the fish with simple salt and pepper. I also put a small amount of butter to make the dish a bit richer. I folded the foil over the fish and made little packets, sealing the edges by crimpling them. I put the packages on the grill and they cooked really quickly.


For the rest of the meal i had asparagus, roasted mini potatoes and a salad of mixed greens, Ontario strawberries, red onions and goat cheese with a balsamic dressing.



No comments:

Post a Comment