Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Healthy Country Breakfast











Being out in the country makes me want to be healthy, especially in the mornings. The commute from Mono to my work is considerable - with lots of stop and go traffic (always fun in a standard). I need to eat breakfast or i'd end up killing someone on the road, and i thought that a nice breakfast of yogurt with granola, dried fruit, nuts, honey and fresh fruit would be just the thing.

My parents place has a "snack cupboard" which i guess is pretty healthy when you think about the contents - nuts (cashews, almonds), crackers, dried fruits (apricots, dates) along with some liquorice. The problem lies in the fact that i end up eating this stuff my the handful, and it becomes not so healthy when you realize that you've devoured two cups of cashews!!!! These ingredients mind you , in proportion, are very good and became the basis of my breakfast.

I initially made a pretty intricate and larger on on the weekend. I used pitted chopped dates, chopped apricots, raw pumpkin seeds, raw sunflower seeds and whole almonds. For a little kick i added a bit of the Ace Bakery granola mix and finally topped it off with chopped banana and honey. After a little yoga, a walk with the dog and settling down with the paper and some coffee in the sun, this was an ideal breakfast.

This was so good i made a batch of the toppings (minus the fruit and honey) and kept it in the fridge so i could have a decent breakfast every morning - and something to sustain me on the drive.


Above:

Ingredients
My mom's cute horse napkins
Close up ingredients
Granola, coffee and the paper!




No comments:

Post a Comment