Monday, April 19, 2010

Country Sandwiches














I don't really eat all that many sandwiches, in part because i never really have good bread at home, and i'm definitely a bread snob. I mean i tend to keep those Ace Bakery baguettes frozen, and some semi-stale rye in the fridge, but a good sandwich deserves some good bread. When i arrived at my parents to look after the place, my mom pointed out that there were two fresh rosemary focatia buns in the fridge that needed to be used. Always one to take a food hint, i was totally preoccupied with what kind of sandwiches to make.

Since my parents have a bbq i had been planning on doing a really nice grilled vegetable sandwich with maybe a pesto goat cheese, but when i was feeding the cat his tuna (yes the cat gets tuna - he's old and its the only thing he'll eat) I decided that i too wanted tuna. I then thought that i would make a tuna wasabi sandwich - but was disappointed to find out that i did not have any wasabi! I had to make something a little more usual. I did my regular tuna salad, onions and carrots with a dijonaise - and added tomatoes, cucumbers and an avocado spread. Pretty sweet actually.

It was my second sandwich that i really made something amazing. Quite a few times i had seen these specialty brown tomatoes - specialty tomatoes can be really tasty, but sometimes they are disappointing. These ones were on sale at Zehrs so i thought i would try them. I did them with avocado spread, extra-old white cheddar, basil and some arugula lightly dressed in a vinaigrette. This was possibly the best sandwich i'd ever had!

Above:

Fancy tomatoes
Ingredients
Tuna sandwich
Tuna ingredients
Best sandwich!





No comments:

Post a Comment