Monday, April 26, 2010

Cherry Blossoms in High Park and Pizza













High Park has a beautiful array of Cherry Blossoms - its a very popular week in the park when they are out. Eric had the day off, and i was in meetings downtown, so we decided to meet up take advantage of a lovely late afternoon and head down to the park, take pictures and enjoy the blossoms.

After the park, we headed back to my place where i thought i would try my hand at making pizzas. I was initially intended on doing an Indian version of the pizzas on Nan bread with a butter chicken sauce (without the chicken of course), but they didn't have any Nan at the grocery store. Its these moments, when you already have a particular recipe in mind that are tough - suddenly a main ingredient is MIA and now you have to try something else.

I wasn't in the mood to make dough from scratch - i picked this meal because it was easy! Eventually poking around the bread section (which isn't that great at my No Frills) i found these whole wheat pita/flat bread things and decided to give them a try. They were actually pretty good - not too thick, but held up and crisped up on the edges.

Unfortunately i also had to rethink all of my toppings - i thought i would do a really simple one with small really ripe tomatoes, buffalo mozzarella, basil and roasted garlic, with a caesar salad on the side. Luckily the grocery store had all of these things, so i was able to complete this idea!

I began by roasting a whole head of garlic, and once it was done and cool enough to handle i removed the cloves and spread them on the bread. I then cut the tomatoes in half, and crushed them in my hand before laying them on the pizza. Since i wasn't using a tomato sauce, this will give the pizza some sauce like element. I then laid down the mozzarella and shredded basil.

I made two this way, and the third i decided to do something a little different and used the roasted garlic, mozzarella and pesto.

Pretty tasty little pizzas, and super easy too!

Above:
My dinner
Cooked pizzas
Toppings
Roasted Garlic
The table




No comments:

Post a Comment