Friday, December 25, 2009

Trimming the Turkey with Mommy











To be honest, i'm not a big fan of the bird, not just turkey, any bird, but in my dedication to food i decided this year to help my mother with the Christmas turkey. (or if you asked my mom dry-heaving when i saw the raw neck in the sink). This year she ordered an organic free range turkey from a local shop in Orangeville - the thing was 21 lbs, which is excessive when only five people are eating. I was fascinated and disgusted all at once!

I made a sage-butter rub, which i allowed my mother to put under the skin - after the neck incident i was a little gun-shy, and she also made a breadcrumb, sage and walnut stuffing. The bird was too big for the roasting pan, but we tied it up and forced it in. You were supposed to suture the bird shut, so my mother sewed it with a needle and thread. Apparently my grandmother taught her that. This was probably the coolest part.

There was so many contradictory pieces of advice on how long to cook it and i really wasn't much help. We finally settled on three hours covered, an hour and a half uncovered and half an hour of rest. Luckily we also had a fancy President's Choice digital thermometer - and once we figured out the Fahrenheit and Celsius we were ready to rock.
The timing work out pretty good with all of the veggies, but the bird was pretty greasy and really difficult to get out of the roasting pan that we had wedged it into. The dogs were super attentive during this whole production, hoping that we would drop the whole thing. Antony carved, and as usual i passed on the bird. Somehow seeing how it was done didn't tempt me.
It was agreed between my mother and i that next year we are doing ham.

No comments:

Post a Comment