Monday, December 28, 2009

For the Love of Bacon






I have a confession to make.... I was seduced by pork. Many years of strict vegetarianism down the drain all for the the sweet deiciouness of the pig. Like many before me, bacon led me astray. I have yet to buy a package of bacon, mainly because i don't think i could control myself, but its become one of my obsessions. At first i was fine with the odd BLT, but now i'm trying pasta with bacon, ham and swiss sandwiches, baked and slow cooked ribs, pulled pork. The pork has seduced me and i'm a changed person.

My first experience with the pulled pork was at a truck-stop in cottage country I read about on Chowhound Toronto board. This summer my parents spotted a pulled pork booth at the Orangeville farmer's market. I spoke to the really nice owners - apparently, and they will be opening their own store at Islington and Burnhamthorpe!

I have yet to make pulled pork, i think the thought of buying a "pork shoulder" is still a little too much for me to handle. (this from a woman will tear apart a crab with her bare hands!) Of course it is winter and i do have a slowcooker....

Above:

Getting ribs ready for the slow cooker
Cuban sandwhich - two types of pork, pickles, cheese and mayo
Pulled porked from the truck stop
Ham for mini mac n' cheese

1 comment: