Monday, December 21, 2009

The fine art of Soup




For a long time soup was a mystery to me. Working at Richard's back in the day i would watch the Chef make these all day stocks with things that made my stomach turn. I thought that i would never be interested in slaving over bones all day. Then i discovered if you buy nice, low sodium, organic stock (bouillon or boxed) alarms are not going to go off everywhere. It still tastes quite good and there are no eyes floating in the mixture! Its easier than boiling your greenbin scraps for hours.

Since falling for soup, and my mother upgrading her hand-held immersion blender. (I benefit from all of my mother's kitchen redecoration projects) I have become obsessed with how easy soup is. My main problem is portion control. The recipes are often really large and for one person, by day five, no matter how tasty it still is, i'm sick of it. I'm also not a freezing person, i just end up throwing things i freeze out whenever i move.

Soup for me is a fall thing, so most of my soups have featured fall vegetables, squash is what you could call a theme! Once 've found one i like, i make it once or twice and just abandon the recipe and start making it as it comes. (ie whatever is left in my fridge)

Above - some of my favorites (from top)

Secondary ingredients for sweet potato, corn and jalapeno soup
Finished sweet potato, corn, jalapeno soup
Cali flower chipotle soup with Gruyere toasts

No comments:

Post a Comment