Friday, January 21, 2011

New Years Brunch Part Two


My plan was to serve a nice simple nicoise salad. I was going to use the President Choice frozen tuna, grilling it for the salad. I should have realized that something was wrong when i couldn't find frozen tuna. I contemplated tinned tuna, and i really love it, but since it was new years brunch i thought it wouldn't be fancy enough.



I paced the frozen fish aisle, as my No Frills doesn't really have fresh fish - well they do, but i'm kinda hesitant, plus its usually just talapia. I finally decided on cod- not that it was suitable, its a little to mild, but i had cooked it before and knew what kind of quality i was getting.



This should have been a sign....



I wanted to enjoy my new years, and instead of doing a lot of prep, i cleaned and then just relaxed. I then figured i could at least hard boil the eggs for the nicoise. Well i was folding napkins, totally lost track of time and forgot about the eggs. I took them off and chilled them and hoped for the best.



Guess what happened: they were woefully undercooked and i had to redo them! The problem with that was, i had intended on doing an egg dish and i was running out. Fine, no egg dish.




Blanched green beans, tomatoes and potatoes




Cod

(and ingredients for the final dish)





I was kinda flustered, so i didn't take a close up of this one. It was actually very pretty. I was kinda obsessed with the symmetry. You can kinda see it in the top right corner.


No comments:

Post a Comment