Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Tomatillo Soup


Apparently October is tomatillo season, i have made so many dishes with canned tomatillos, and suddenly there are everywhere. On the long weekend i was enjoying the sunshine walking through Kensington Market and thought i would pic up a few things - and right there were all these tomatillos (the green ones this time). I had to get some more since i didn't know the next time i would see them!


I wasn't going to make enchiladas again, and although that salsa is really good i wanted to find out what else was possible with them. I poked around on the internet and didn't find anything that i was especially impressed with. I had them a couple of days looking for some inspiration, when i thought about seeing tomatillo soup on a menu somewhere in the States, but it had chicken on it so i hadn't tried it. Tomatillo soup it would be.
I cut up some potatoes, jalapenos and these spicier dark green peppers. First i sauteed the garlic and onion, then added the other ingredients. Once they were cooking, i added some veggie stock and brought it to a boil until everything was tender. I used my emersion blender to break it up, but i did leave quite a bit of texture.


Soup wasn't enough, and i still had some of the left over tortillas so i made some simple quesadillas with cheese, red onions, tomatoes, jalapenos and cilantro.


I also cut up some the extra tortillas into strips and baked them, using them as a crunchy topping.

Soup!

No comments:

Post a Comment