Saturday, September 25, 2010

Cheese Curds and Cottage Snacks

Some days, even at the cottage i'm not really in the mood to make exotic meals and just feel like snacking instead. And one of my favorite things to snack on is cheese. We had just found a place between Godham and Irondale that was called something like Highland Meats, and it was quite a nice surprise. I picked up a few things there and decided to make them a meal.

I've always liked baked brie with chutney, but i didn't have any chutney at the cottage, so i figured i could make some sort of compote with the nectarines i had handy. (plus they were sort of getting a little soft) I simply sauteed them with some white wine, cinnamon and a few other things till they broke down (i think there were candied pecans too - it was a few weeks ago). I then baked the brie until it was soft in the centre and topped with the "chutney". Pretty good for an impromptu snack.

Of course as that's not a meal we were hungry again.... hence my next snack. I'm calling this one my cottage version of Lick's Taters and Cream....


I used some of the Kabassa and cheese curds from the same market. I also sliced up some mini-potatoes into "fries" and baked them. For the Kabassa i took it out of its "skin" and cooked the slices in a small saute pan until they were crispier.



I topped the fires with the cheese curds we got


I then added some sour cream, red onions and the cooked kabassa.

No comments:

Post a Comment