Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Ribs & Lobster - a christmas tradition?


Ribs have been a bit of a family standard for holidays for a while now. My mother has been swearing she will never make turkey again, but every year she feel funny about not doing it- and we have turnkey of some sort. This year however she decided to really do no turnkey and chose to do lobster tails! Trust me i wasn't complaining.




I was in charge of the tails. They were originally frozen, and they suggested you thaw them for at least 8 hours before preparing.



There were so many means of making them, and i had made them once on a bbq - which i liked, but as my parents had a number of feet of snow, i thought it might not be the best idea. I ended up opting to steam them, using white wine instead of water or stock. I had also read that they curl up so its best to skewer them to prevent this.





Steamed Lobster




There were also a number of veggie sides of course. There was a baked cauliflower dish, that had cheese and tomatoes. Almost like a mac and cheese but with cauliflower. There were also these really great green beans that my mother had blanched earlier and then tossed in some sauteed shallots and butter. The beans were perfect!



Caprese Salad and Lemons for the Lobster


Twice baked potatoes - regular and sweet.


Ribs, Lobster and Champers???
(how fancy)


A frozen lemon meringue pie - i think this one was a Bonnie Stern - it had a neat decoration of frozen grapes. I actually didn't try this - i have a limited sweet tooth.




And here was the breakfast offerings the next day. We were all pretty full, so my parents had scones and croissants, fruit plate, and some xmas candy!!!!!











No comments:

Post a Comment